Cheap Body Jewelry
Sadly, not all jewelry is created equal. Cheap body jewelry, often manufactured in China, contains nickel, a silver white naturally occurring metal.
Nickel is the leading cause of skin allergies and irritation that can be as small as a red spot to as large as broken, blistered skin in extreme reactions. It is estimated that 5.8% of adult Americans are allergic to nickel and nearly 1/3 of the jewelry in the market contains nickel in some form. If you have reacted to nickel once the body is more prone to sensitivity in the future wearing or coming into contact with it can create a reaction and prolonged irritation can mean treat is more difficult..
Leading dermatologist and specialist in irritant dermatitis Dr. Maibach suggested the following tips:
- Look for jewelry and clothing labelled "nickel-free" or "hypoallergenic"
- Wear only stainless steel, platinum or gold jewelry if you know you are allergic to nickel
- Discontinue wearing jewelry that causes any noticeable skin irritation, such as redness or itching
- Use 1% hydrocortisone cream or ointment, which can be purchased over-the-counter, to treat nickel-induced dermatitis
- See your dermatologist if symptoms worsen or do not improve within three to five days of not wearing jewelry
Recent health warnings have also made people aware of the use of lead in some cheap jewelry. Public health awareness and strict regulations has significantly lowered the occurrences in health related issues due to lead in the United States. Jewelry products purchased outside the United States can not provide you with the same assurance and the health affects of lead include damage to the central nervous system and in children, learning difficulties. Always ask questions and if in doubt, don't purchase cheap jewelry from countries that don't employ the same strict regulation.
A good indication that your jewelry contains nickel is the remnants of a black mark a result of the nickel reacting with your skin. Remember the jewelry you are using is not only coming in contact with your skin, but with the delicate internal tissue inside your belly. Why risk your skin and your health when AlluringBody has a beautiful range of nickel and lead free, low allergy, quality body jewelry that will suit every occasion.